- More than 350 government representatives from 115 countries — including Ministers and high-level officials — gathered in Abu Dhabi to attend the 14th Council of the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA). At the outset of the meeting, the Council re-elected China as Chair of the meeting and Colombia as Vice-Chair.
ADFD, IRENA Open New Round of Funding for Renewable Energy Projects in Developing Countries, Invite ApplicationsThe International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA), in partnership with the Abu Dhabi Fund for Development (ADFD), is inviting applications for renewable energy projects in developing countries. Within the framework of the ADFD-funded US$350 million (AED1.285 billion) IRENA/ADFD Project Facility, the current funding round of US$50 million in concessional loans marks the sixth of seven annual cycles.
- The Government of Wallonia of Belgium has committed €1 million to the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA) as part of the Government’s support of renewable energy as a key pillar of international climate efforts.
- Countries have an opportunity to significantly increase renewable energy ambition within Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs), and to accelerate its deployment in line with climate objectives under the Paris Agreement, per a new report by the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA).
- Energy innovations will be centered on digital technologies and the strategic use of data, according to new research published. A shift is coming in the energy industry from a focus on hardware to the increased importance of software in order to make systems more efficient, resilient, and digital.
- Two years since the signing of the Paris climate agreement and eight years after Copenhagen, countries on both side of the rich-poor divide are falling short on promises made to address climate change through clean energy investment, research firm Bloomberg New Energy Finance (BNEF) finds.
FOWIND Launches New Report on Grid Integration for Offshore Wind Farm Development in Gujarat and Tamil Nadu IndiaThe FOWIND Consortium launched a new report: "Grid Integration Study for Offshore Wind Farm Development in Gujarat and Tamil Nadu". This DNV-GL led study is a significant step forward in preparing a roadmap for the offshore wind sector in India by the GWEC led FOWIND consortium.
- Energy storage capacity to triple by 2030, if countries double the share of renewables in the world’s energy system
- Governments of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) and the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA), have established a strategic partnership to accelerate the region’s transition to low-carbon, sustainable energy and build its climate resilience.
- Latin America developing a strong quality infrastructure for Solar PV